Re: Jazz Chord Symbols (as new font - NOT notation font)

From: Marco Baumgartner
Subject: Re: Jazz Chord Symbols (as new font - NOT notation font)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 00:12:15 +0200

Thanks.

I just figured out how to use my own otf font.
You're saying, that once I have my font finished, I can use it as \markup
OR as ChordName? But wouldn't ChordName mess with my font then?
Like forcing its own spacing and such?

Or lies that within the used font in ChordName? So, if I use my own font -
that's just that? That would be awesome.

On 2019-07-03 10:40 am, Marco Baumgartner wrote:
> One thought though: As far as I understand it: displaying chords within
> Lilypond is not done with/by a "normal" font but rather a special
> chord-mechanism. I fear, that this mechanism (as far I've seen) does a
> good
> job, but can also be seen as a limitation. How wrong would it be to
> create
> a normal font (with tons of ligatures) which I could use as
> info/comments/_expression_ - NOT in Chord-mode to display chords? I feel
> like
> that would be the only way that leads to perfect chord symbols. Or am I
> completely out? :-)

A ChordName is nothing more than markup at the end of the day.  Since
the default stencil is ly:text-interface::print, anything you can do in
\markup you can do in a ChordName.  That gives you nearly all the
freedom you would ever need, so there should be nothing to worry.

-- Aaron Hill