Re: GSoC 2016

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GSoC 2016
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 10:21:58 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Would it be an acceptable/interesting project to bring the ScholarLY
> library to a finished state and (optionally) integrate it with
> LilyPond?

Personally I don't think "integrating ScholarLY" with LilyPond is the
right course: it is a rather special-purpose case.  I think the question
we should rather solve is how to modify LilyPond and its tools and
infrastructure such that it becomes easy to fetch, drop in, and maintain
things like ScholarLy when developed externally.

Basically CTAN for LilyPond.  I mean, the acronym CLAN is actually nice.

What we distribute as "LilyPond core" should be a reasonably cohesive
set of features and capabilities.  If the coverage of musical issues
provided outside of the core is more diverse and spotty and of different
quality, that's then the responsibility of "special interest groups"
rather than the LilyPond core developers.  It would also allow people to
contribute to a community without having to integrate themselves into
the communications and working style of the core development.

I'm not sure that this aspect is something that would work well as a
GSoC project.  With regard to the "bring to a finished state" angle, you
are probably the best judge of how well-suited as a project that would
be, likely with yourself as tutor.