Re: GSoC 2016

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: GSoC 2016
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 16:29:11 -0500

Hi John,

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 9:01 PM, John Gourlay <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I’ve started working on incorporating the musicxml2ly enhancements from
> Philomelos into LilyPond.

Glad to hear it!

> Is this what you’re referring to when you say “there’s still work to do on
> MusicXML import/export”?

Ah, no, we had a GSoC student last summer (David Garfinkle) who was working on
a MusicXML export project.  The idea is that the export work will eventually
pave the way for more robust import.

There’s a listing on the website for this project among others (but it seems
it’s not up-to-date with the current approach from last summer):
http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html

We were fortunate to have David Kastrup mentoring as the resident expert on
LilyPond's internals.  From what I can tell the project went well, making solid
progress towards MusicXML export.  (David, FWIW it seems to me you did a fine
job!)

> I don’t have a patch to submit yet, but should I put an entry in the
> SourceForge LilyIssues web site to stake my claim on this task?

That’s probably a good idea in any case.

-Paul