Re: GSoC 2016

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GSoC 2016
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:40:09 +0100

Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:

>> On Jan 21, 2016, at 11:02 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> But I think *now* is the time to start thinking about possible projects
>> for this instead of waiting for some students to show up out of the blue.
>>
>> What would be a suitable approach?
>>
>>  * Thinking about a number of tasks that
>>    - would be good for us to promote and
>>    - feasible as a GSoC project and
>>    - would have a suitable mentor available
>>  * Advertising these ideas (along with encouraging own ideas) on our
>>    website and mailing list, other locations for developers, personal
>>    relations ...
>>
>> Any opinions?
>
> Sounds like a good plan.  Would the chord work that Harm and David K
> were discussing recently make a good project?

Well, it was basically about letting LilyPond do things in a more
LilyPond-like way than Jan and Han-Wen were thinking at the time.  So it
would require someone pretty thoroughly into LilyPond and/or a pretty
good tutor.  I'm not sure that we'll be able to make that a good fit.

> There’s still work to do on MusicXML import/export,

Well, there's still wrapping up to do from the last time.  Sigh.  I'm
obviously not a good tutor.