Re: working with other git branches (was: Tie Crusade - what to do now)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: working with other git branches (was: Tie Crusade - what to do now)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 18:28:30 +0200

2013/8/18 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:
> 2013/8/18 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>> Hi Harm,
>>
>> 2013/8/18 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:
>>> Hi Janek,

>>> git version 1.7.0.4
>>> (from lilydevel)
>>
>> Ah, ok.  Quite old, so i recommend to upgrade (can help you if needed).
>
> Thanks! I think I'll need some help:
>
> If I do
> git clone https://github.com/git/git.git
> as recommended here
> http://git-scm.com/downloads
> an empty Git repository is created.
> How to proceed?

the repository is really empty?  That's very strange.  Are there any
hidden files inside (press ctrl-H when viewing folder with nautilus)?
If you navigate inside it and say 'git status', what does it tell you?
also, what 'which git' tells you?

>>> Doing this returns:
>>> address@hidden ~/lilypond-git (master)$ git checkout dev/frax/colorful-make
>>> error: pathspec 'dev/frax/colorful-make' did not match any file(s) known to
>>> git.
>>
>> Indeed, this is expected with such an old git.
> [...]
>> Please try
>> git fetch origin dev/frax/colorful-make:dev/frax/colorful-make
>> (and then a checkout)
>
> Got it!
> And a successful make on that branch.
>
> Though, ofcourse offtopic, what should I do to see the promised colors?

hmm.  They should appear in your terminal during compilation, as the
output of make... Do you tell make to compile silently, or redirect
output ot a file?

Janek