Re: working with other git branches (was: Tie Crusade - what to do now)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: working with other git branches (was: Tie Crusade - what to do now)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 17:15:54 +0200

Hi Harm,

2013/8/18 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:
> Hi Janek,
>
> 2013/8/18 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>> Hi,

>>> let me take you at your word.
>>
>> excellent!  I like it when my words are taken seriously :-)
>
> D)
>

>>> Recently you posted
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-08/msg00138.html
>>> with the public branch
>>> dev/frax/colorful-make
>>>
>>> How do I get this branch?
>>> I.e. what to do/type?
>>
>> side-question: what git version do you have? ('git --version')
> git version 1.7.0.4
> (from lilydevel)

Ah, ok.  Quite old, so i recommend to upgrade (can help you if needed).

>> 4) to go to the desired branch, run 'git checkout <branchname>' - in
>> this case, 'git checkout dev/frax/colorful-make'.
>
> Doing this returns:
> address@hidden ~/lilypond-git (master)$ git checkout dev/frax/colorful-make
> error: pathspec 'dev/frax/colorful-make' did not match any file(s) known to
> git.

Indeed, this is expected with such an old git.

> git branch -a
> returns:
> address@hidden ~/lilypond-git (master)$ git branch -a
>   dev/grace-settings
>   dev/local_working
>   dev/note-by-number
>   dev/note-by-number-2
>   dev/paper
>   dev/power
>   dev/properties
> * master
>   status
>   remotes/origin/master
> address@hidden ~/lilypond-git (master)$

What's puzzling me is that only one remote branch is shown
(remotes/origin/master) - that's probably also because of old git.
Please try
git fetch origin dev/frax/colorful-make:dev/frax/colorful-make
(and then a checkout)

best,
Janek