Re: working with other git branches (was: Tie Crusade - what to do now)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: working with other git branches (was: Tie Crusade - what to do now)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 18:19:51 +0200

2013/8/18 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> Hi Harm,
>
> 2013/8/18 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:
>> Hi Janek,

>>> side-question: what git version do you have? ('git --version')
>> git version 1.7.0.4
>> (from lilydevel)
>
> Ah, ok.  Quite old, so i recommend to upgrade (can help you if needed).

Thanks! I think I'll need some help:

If I do
git clone https://github.com/git/git.git
as recommended here
http://git-scm.com/downloads
an empty Git repository is created.
How to proceed?

>>> 4) to go to the desired branch, run 'git checkout <branchname>' - in
>>> this case, 'git checkout dev/frax/colorful-make'.
>>
>> Doing this returns:
>> address@hidden ~/lilypond-git (master)$ git checkout dev/frax/colorful-make
>> error: pathspec 'dev/frax/colorful-make' did not match any file(s) known to
>> git.
>
> Indeed, this is expected with such an old git.
[...]
> Please try
> git fetch origin dev/frax/colorful-make:dev/frax/colorful-make
> (and then a checkout)

Got it!
And a successful make on that branch.

Though, ofcourse offtopic, what should I do to see the promised colors?

Thanks a lot,
  Harm