Re: working with other git branches (was: Tie Crusade - what to do now)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: working with other git branches (was: Tie Crusade - what to do now)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 16:59:32 +0200

Hi Janek,

2013/8/18 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> 2013/8/18 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:
>> 2013/8/18 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>>> PS if anyone needs *any* help with git, i'll gladly help!
>>
>> let me take you at your word.
>
> excellent!  I like it when my words are taken seriously :-)

D)

>> Recently you posted
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-08/msg00138.html
>> with the public branch
>> dev/frax/colorful-make
>>
>> How do I get this branch?
>> I.e. what to do/type?
>
> side-question: what git version do you have? ('git --version')
git version 1.7.0.4
(from lilydevel)

> 1) go to the directory lilypond repository (that was obvious)
> 2) run 'git status' to see in what state is your repository.  It sould
> say something like "on branch <branchname> [...]". If it says you have
> uncommitted changes, you should commit or stash them before proceeding
> (ask if you need help)
> 3) update your repository using 'git fetch' (or 'git pull', depending
> on your preferences), you have probably done this step recently so it
> may not be necessary
I do this always with
git pull -r
as recommended in CG.

> 4) to go to the desired branch, run 'git checkout <branchname>' - in
> this case, 'git checkout dev/frax/colorful-make'.

Doing this returns:
address@hidden ~/lilypond-git (master)$ git checkout dev/frax/colorful-make
error: pathspec 'dev/frax/colorful-make' did not match any file(s) known to git.
address@hidden ~/lilypond-git (master)$

git branch -a
returns:
address@hidden ~/lilypond-git (master)$ git branch -a
  dev/grace-settings
  dev/local_working
  dev/note-by-number
  dev/note-by-number-2
  dev/paper
  dev/power
  dev/properties
* master
  status
  remotes/origin/master
address@hidden ~/lilypond-git (master)$

(most of them private branches)

And now I don't know how to proceed!
?

> Git will probably
> say something about seting up a branch X to track remote branch X from
> origin.
> 5) that's it.  remember that whatever you do will happen on this
> branch (for example new commits will be attached to it) until you tell
> git to switch to another branch.  When you don't know where you are,
> run 'git status' or 'git branch'.
>
> As you can see, it boils down to one command (step 4), but just to
> make sure everything is working as expected you may need some extra
> commands.  Be sure to ask more questions if you need. (for example, if
> you'd like to use that colorful make when working on some of your
> patches).
>
> hth,
> Janek

Thanks,