RE: Black mensural notation

From: Lukas Pietsch
Subject: RE: Black mensural notation
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 15:00:10 +0100

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 13:08 +0000, James Lowe wrote:

> I ran this with 2.13.45 and it compiles with some warnings (see
> attached zip of log file).
>
> However, this is wonderful stuff!
>
> Also your PDF is very informative and it would be nice to incorporate
> this into our own Notation Reference at some point, if at all possible
> - I can help with that if you need to.
>
> James

Thanks a lot! As for the warnings, I too was getting the "cannot align
on self: empty element" ones, and found no way of getting rid of them.
Maybe it's something to do with Lilypond not liking the way I removed
the standard stems and flags, because it seems to be trying to align
something with something else that isn't there, for each notehead it has
to process. The "cannot find property type-check for `beatLength'" and
`beatGrouping' warnings seem to be new. Were these properties recently
renamed or something? They seemed to be a standard part of how bars were
defined in the version I had.

As for how to proceed from here, I'm not quite sure, since "my" system
now stands rather outside the normal architecture and its development
process, and since consolidating it further would probably duplicate
some of the work Pál has been doing on the white notation. Probably the
most elegant thing would be if it was possible to merge some of the
logic of my ligature processing (with the plicas, pes shapes and
currentes) into the standard ligature engraver Pál has been improving?
But for that, I'd need somebody to help me with integrating the black
glyph primitives into the standard font system and make them accessible
from the normal engravers. I can't say I've really understood much of
that architecture yet.

Lukas