Re: Black mensural notation

From: Lukas Pietsch
Subject: Re: Black mensural notation
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 15:26:44 +0100

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 07:10 -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> > Thanks a lot! As for the warnings, I too was getting the "cannot align
> > on self: empty element" ones, and found no way of getting rid of them.
> > Maybe it's something to do with Lilypond not liking the way I removed
> > the standard stems and flags, because it seems to be trying to align
> > something with something else that isn't there, for each notehead it has
> > to process. The "cannot find property type-check for `beatLength'" and
> > `beatGrouping' warnings seem to be new. Were these properties recently
> > renamed or something? They seemed to be a standard part of how bars were
> > defined in the version I had.
>
> beatLength and beatGrouping have gone away in 2.13.  They are replaced
> (mostly) by baseMoment and beatStructure.

Ah, I see. Which means maintaining a scheme function that redefines bar
structures in a way that is compatible with all current versions might
be rather difficult? (Okay, bar structures may not be of the highest
priority for making the thing work, because for most purposes they
should remain invisible anyway, but currently I think there's still
something about the horizontal spacing that is sensitive to where the
assumed underlying bar lines are.)

> > As for how to proceed from here, I'm not quite sure, since "my" system
> > now stands rather outside the normal architecture and its development
> > process, and since consolidating it further would probably duplicate
> > some of the work Pál has been doing on the white notation. Probably the
> > most elegant thing would be if it was possible to merge some of the
> > logic of my ligature processing (with the plicas, pes shapes and
> > currentes) into the standard ligature engraver Pál has been improving?
> > But for that, I'd need somebody to help me with integrating the black
> > glyph primitives into the standard font system and make them accessible
> > from the normal engravers. I can't say I've really understood much of
> > that architecture yet.
>
> I'd be happy to help you integrate the glyph primitives into the
> standard font.  I'm not sure how much help I can be in the process of
> integrating the glyph primitives into ligatures.

Great! I'm not sure when I might find time for again working
substantially on this, but perhaps you could start by giving me some
pointers about what input format we'd need to define those glyphs? I
currently have Postscript and SVG representations of them.

Lukas