Re: Fw: Sustain in midi output of Piano Centered Dynamics Template

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Fw: Sustain in midi output of Piano Centered Dynamics Template
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:41:15 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Monday, June 02, 2008 9:01 PM
On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:48:45 +0100
"Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

2008/6/1 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> It wasn't me; I just reminded somebody to work on it.
>
> If this uses 2.11 stuff (which I imagine it does, given the new
> dynamic stuff), then you should update
> input/new/piano-template-...ly

Trevor, if you want the changes to stick, you'll have to edit the
example in input/new,

Oops, I missed that.  Good catch!  Everybody, pay attention to the
warning at the top of every input/lsr/ file: anything you modify
*will* be lost!

Damn!  I didn't believe I'd done that until I checked on Savannah.
I knew this, and -still- edited the wrong file!  Thanks Neil!

though I question whether this is a good idea,
since it represents a deviation in behaviour  from the other piano
templates.

Well, we could either add it to all of them, or create an extra
snippet showing this thing.  Or maybe add it as a comment?

The good thing is that we now have an opportunity to discuss
whether we should add it.  Is there any downside to doing this?
I suppose someone developing a score might not want repeats expanding in midi, at least not to begin with, and I can see an
argument that says this is nothing to do with centering piano
dynamics.

So on reflection, maybe we leave midi repeats out of the template and instead make a note to add it to the docs somewhere, perhaps in the yet-to-be-written midi section?
- Graham
Trevor