Re: Backporting doc changes to stable/2.10 [was: Re: Docs check-translat

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Backporting doc changes to stable/2.10 [was: Re: Docs check-translation]
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 12:51:03 -0800

Jean-Charles wrote:
All the documents that I have read about typography and "good use" show examples introduced with a colon (:) throughout their content. So I think it is normal French typography to do like this.

To be honest, I'm not certain where the no-colon rule came from. I just checked a few technical books lying around (I'm in a lab) and they sometimes used colons.

Not that I consider blogs to be authoritative, but this article makes sense to me:
http://www.megginson.com/blogs/quoderat/2005/12/23/mind-your-colons/

(err, no pun intended by using a colon there.  :)

I propose that we use the guidelines in the link -- use a colon to introduce material if the sentence is a complete sentence.

Cheers,
- Graham