Re: Backporting doc changes to stable/2.10 [was: Re: Docs check-translat

From: Jean-Charles
Subject: Re: Backporting doc changes to stable/2.10 [was: Re: Docs check-translation]
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:03:00 +0100

Le 08.01.2007 01:45, John Mandereau disait :
Graham Percival wrote:
Thanks, these look good. However, there are some problems with your other updates:

1. Wrapping paragraphs in texinfo is pointless, because texinfo ignores whitespace. Lines that are too long are annoying for people using 80-character terminals, but other than that, there's no point in spending time fussing over linewidths.

Well, I haven't spent much time on this: with Emacs, it's only a matter
of doing M-Q on odd-looking paragraphs.  Moreover, it's easier to read
short and well formatted lines, for both Info readers and docs editors.

2. Don't use colons: to introduce examples. See the README.txt in Documentation/user/

You are right.  I wonder if the same rules should apply to French
translations; in French, I feel well introducing many examples with a
colon.  I should check good French style somewhere; Jean-Charles, what
do you know about this?

All the documents that I have read about typography and "good use" show examples introduced with a colon (:) throughout their content. So I think it is normal French typography to do like this.

May I advice all translators to have a look at it. I made some research last year as we were starting the French version of lilypond.org, and found some good books or URL, one of them dealing with localization of the Sun products (regularly updated).

Jean-Charles