Re: Support RMS

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 23:56:26 +0300

* Robbt E <robbt@azone.org> [2021-03-26 16:28]:
>    A someone whose been an associate member of FSF for maybe over a decade
>    I do see it as highly problematic that the FSF staff were not given a
>    heads up before his return to the board was announced. The fact that
>    this seemed to happen impromptu during a live event is a sign of a lack
>    of leadership and planning on the part of the FSF board. I've yet to
>    see any kind of letter explaining the decision or anything that shows a
>    sign of understanding with regards to how divisive this decision was
>    going to be.

Let us understand how corporations and also non-profit corporations in
US work:

- there are memorandums and associations, we have to consider RMS is
  the founder of the non-profit corporation FSF;

- as founder, he has also certain rights, he can change, with approval
  of founding members, those corporate documents, in other words, he
  could dictate; but the fact is so far is that he does not dictate in
  his favor; RMS rather promotes purposes of the FSF, if on board or
  not on board;

- there are by-laws;

Those documents say how and who and when by which protocols is elected
on board. They need not necessarily make it public, I have not read
that anything need to be public, yet they do publish events. They must
have been talking together as it is normal for any organization, but
they need not make minutes or conversations public. They also are not
required to make their resolutions public. But they do mostly.

It is not really a public organization, though FSF is one of very
transparent organizations which does publish important events.

But we have to understand, RMS is founder.

>    But I also think it is important if the Free Software movement is going
>    to have a level of longevity it needs to grow to cultivate new
>    leadership for the next generation.

Well, for future, we have to cultivate awareness of the public to stop
stoning people for who they are, instead to activate public' mind to
make conclusions based on merits and not on rumors.

Jean