Re: libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 131, Issue 17 Re: RMS is back on boa

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 131, Issue 17 Re: RMS is back on board
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 23:31:09 +0300

* Jan Kubát <ja.jan.kubat@gmail.com> [2021-03-26 17:52]:
> >> Re: RMS is back on board
>
> Hi,
> I recall there has been some reason to avoid Github, but discussing
> the support of RMS being back on board, I thought of sharing a link
>
> https://rms-support-letter.github.io/

Sure, it is good to avoid Github as:

- they do not respect users' freedom and provide proprietary
  Javascript

- they lock users into their proprietary server services

- it is centralized repository, it is always better to pay few dollars
  per year and have your own Git repository, if you have a
  team. Without a team it is not necessary really.

For sending signatures, why not -- let us do it, I did it.

> https://www.fsf.org/news/preliminary-board-statement-on-fsf-governance

> * We will adopt a transparent, formal process for identifying
>  candidates and appointing new board members who are wise, capable,
>  and committed to the FSF's mission. We will establish ways for our
>  supporters to contribute to the discussion.

That sounds good and it is aligned with FSF purposes: who is wise,
capable and committed to FSF's mission. Those people, including
RMS. It is very easy to deviate purposes when hostile attacks arrive.

I consider RMS wise person who can handle that public pressure, he is
just way too tolerant to what was going on, and he kept on pushing the
purposes of free software philosophy instead of deviating focus on
hostilities.