Re: Support RMS

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 00:33:47 +0300

* Florian Snow <floriansnow@member.fsf.org> [2021-03-26 22:11]:
> Things have been different with RMS. He has consistently stood out for
> years with bad behavior.

Absolutely incorrect! How can you say that?

I have watched every possible speech that was there online, I have
seen pissed him off at one occasion and sometimes correcting people in
the terminology which is one of purposes of a philosopher, and
sometimes eating some old skin.. ahahhahah which I find funny. I do
not judge people for their visible character traits because they are
exposed to public -- while we all here who are not so exposed to
public also have such or similar character traits, maybe some of you
would be standing in shaking manner at public, some would have open
zipper on their trousers, some would forget to comb their hair, some
would flip out on heckers calling you from public.

But I have watched number of his speeches and I cannot say that there
is anything near to "consistently standing out for bad behavior" --
maybe you are consistently accepting rumours, try with introspection.

> But there is other problematic behavior. For example, it harms our
> movement if at events about Free Software, RMS also remarks on
> completely unrelated topics which offend people.

Somebody will be always offended for something. That does not harm a
movement. Number of GPL licenses has increased, number of free
software has increased, number of GNU/Linux users has increased, it is
now better than ever. To say that movement is harmed one should have
some statistics. I have been analyzing it before few months, and
statistics are on Emacs devel mailing list.

That somebody there out, unnamed, got offended, and now you speak here
for that somebody is not any reason for defamation and assasination of
RMS character.

> And it's unnecessary because it doesn't advance software freedom.

Neither your statements here advance software freedom. We still
speak. I don't find it proper that you use this mailing list to
promote hate here -- but we still speak, don't worry I don't get
offended. I think we speak too little.

> But even if you ignore all that, there are still problematic
> things. For instance, RMS acting annoyed and aggressive when people
> accidentally use a wrong term.

Yes? Philosophers have been promoting philosophies for centuries, they
do act annoyed when philosophy apparently being understood is not
understood. That is not a reason for character assassination or
promotion of hate.

What you could do, just organize a free software speech. Do it
yourself.

> And yes, I have also personally experienced the exact opposite,
> where he reacted very friendly to those mistakes, but those things
> don't cancel each other out.

Wow, there was something good...

In one thing you are right, it is human nature that even if you have
experienced 100 good speeches by RMS, for one event that you or
somebody else got offended you are prone to forget whatever good you
have experienced.

By reading your essey here one would assume RMS is some kind of
abusive animal.

Please tell me which of these speeches here do you consider bad:
https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/

Maybe some from here:
https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/#2020

Or some from here:
https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/#2019

Or some from here:
https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/#2018

Or from here:
https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/#2017

Which one? Can I watch it?

> And that behavior also scares off people who are new to our
> movement, who don't know everything yet, but are enthusiastic about
> the cause and want to learn.

Blah blah blah.

As speeches are on video, show me the one!

Jean