Re: Support RMS

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 23:48:33 +0300

* Deb Nicholson <deb@eximiousproductions.com> [2021-03-26 16:20]:
>    Hi,
>    I'm a former FSF staff person and a former GNU maintainer who has left
>    most of the FSF & GNU mailing lists that I was on because of the
>    extremely toxic, harassment-filled environments on those lists. I
>    stayed on the LibrePlanet list because it's usually ok and I appreciate
>    seeing the occasional campaign messages and actions to take in support
>    of free software.

Well, I would not know one of those mailing lists that is "extremely
toxic" on GNU, could you be more specific and tell us one, as you
mentioned "those lists" -- like generalization is now supposed to
influence readers here.

I have not found one "harassment-filled" environment, could you be
specific and tell us, as you got experience with "lists"? I don't do
really.

>    RMS inspires a toxic, sexist and unrepentant culture.

I cannot see that, it was RMS who started with GNU Kind Communication
Guidelines and it is RMS who warns people to be kind to each
other. Since years I have never see any "toxic", "sexist",
"unrepentant" culture inspired by RMS, this may be your viewpoint, but
consider that we are many who don't share that viewpoint.

>    I'm one of the people who has asked him -- many times -- to take
>    a strong stance against sexism in GNU, to stop treating women as
>    second-class citizens, and to re-consider his utterly clueless
>    and disrespectful treatment of transgender people in our
>    communities.

So far I know RMS respects any genders, how about his genderless
pronouns?

All those allegations are now vague, unless you would like to tell us
more specific occasion or events. If you are there close to RMS, did
you go personally to talk about specific case?

I have not seen anything discriminatory neither in GNU or in FSF. That
is my experience, but you said you worked there, you could have
different experience, however, none specific fact you have
demonstrated here. I am worried this will end up in furthering
factless fears, uncertainties and doubts.

Could you please kindly be more specific?