Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is Stallman nuts?

From: Isaac David
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is Stallman nuts?
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 00:28:32 -0500

I know I'm not replying directly to the mail I'm supposed to.

>On Tue, September 17, 2019 7:59 pm, Leah Rowe wrote:
>>
>> women (and LGBT people, and black people etc) are routinely
>> descriminated against, and less likely to get involved in tech.

The latter isn't necessarily a consequence of the former, which you seem to
imply. Evidence shows there's a negative correlation between the fairer a
society is for women and the amount of women getting into STEM. This would be
explained by biologicaly-rooted dimorphic interests that flourish the best
under free conditions. _Most_ (cis) women would rather excel at other areas if
given the opportunity, and that's fine. Men aren't discriminated against just
because women dominate fields such as psychology and nursing.

>> we need to spend more effort bringing such people into the movement.
>> since you know, they actually form at least half the planet and have
>> the same intelligence/potential.

We need to give more people software freedom. Insofar as people buy computers,
they deserve control over them.

It's a bare fact in psychology that _sex_ produces differences in
domain-specific intelligences, even though general intelligence may be the same
(at least for our species).

Search for an online Harvard lecture called "The Truth Cannot Be Sexist" by Dr
 Steven Pinker if this sounds alien to you.

Not having more female programmers doesn't mean the free software movement is
failing them.

>> I say this as an LGBT person.

We know who you are, no need to brag about it. You were the last person to run
with a libelous scandal against the FSF the moment you found a trans employee
had resigned from it.

>> If you have the choice between a more qualified male candidate and
>less
>> qualified female candidate, hire the female candidate - and
>> train/educate her.

Gender quotas only start to make sense when you have so many people qualified
for a position of power that you can sideline optimising for qualification and
start optimising for distribution of power. Congress is one such example. I'm
not positive that most women would _enjoy_ being programmers or IT people, and
that's fine. Everyone should be free to be whatever they like.

Don't confuse personal satisfaction and equal opportunity with mandatory quotas.
--
Envoyé de mon appareil Android avec Courriel K-9 Mail. Veuillez excuser ma
brièveté.