Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gitlab and Gitorious (was Re: support me)

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gitlab and Gitorious (was Re: support me)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 14:47:29 -0500

Maybe it's not enough to abolish copyright on non free software, but I think
it's something we agree should be done.  It's a bad idea to abolish all
copyright, because that's the only thing we have to protect the GPL.  There's
solid ground to remove non free software from copyright.  It would help by
depriving software owners revenue that ordinarily funds propaganda campaigns
and other work against the community.

I'm not sure mandatory source code publishing will help.  Microsoft, for
example, regularly open washes software without giving users real freedom.
They do this to fool the public into trusting them.

The real issue is one of public knowledge.  If people understood software
freedom and how their computers were being used against them, they would
demand free software.