Re: [libreplanet-discuss] support me

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] support me
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 01:14:09 -0300

On 03/06/15 15:09, Sytse Sijbrandij wrote:

> we both want to see more freedom and collaboration in software development.

*** I'm glad you say so.

I see the Gitlab-Gitorious case as a flagship case for the GPL.

I can understand Linus Torvald's position that GPLv2 offers "I give you
the code, and you give back the changes", and that he's uncomfortable
with GPLv3 imposing equal usage opportunity.

I can understand that you and other companies have to earn income in
order to exist, and proprietary licensing is an easy way to earn more money.

But I'm thinking on a global scale (the only one that remains really)
and I think that if produced code lands in the public space and remains
there, no matter how much money your competition can throw at outbidding
you, if they distribute their code to their customers, they also
distribute it back to you, which is not the case with non-copyleft software.

That makes for a fair and even competition.  I'm certainly not a free
market person, but as I see it, free market ideologists can only support
such a situation, otherwise they're just hypocrites like those who claim
to support freedom and do use free code, but invoke all kinds of reasons
for restricting competition and sharing back with the community on which
shoulders they stand.

If there's no way to restrict competition, therefore cooperation can
occur much more consistently, because the rules of the game changed from
supporting offer monopolies to supporting demand.  The problem of income
remains, but it now has a different setting: as everyone is in the same
boat, we're not looking at a free market situation but at a common pool
resource situation.  The outcome of such shifts from advantage-to-greed
to advantage-to-fairness.

How we, free software supporters, make this situation livable, is by
increasing mutual support, including considering solving the resource
allocation issues beyond the limits of each small group.  The role that
Gitlab B.V. can play there is worth considering seriously.

==
hk