Re: Hurd status

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: Hurd status
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 07:17:06 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 09:57:03AM -0600, Oz wrote:

> why don't the hurd hackers take some short cuts and turn the gnu
> kernel to a monolithic kernel and cut some corners like Linux instead
> of trying to create the perfect kernel which will never reach a highly
> usable status.

That would be a pointless exercise. Several free (monolithic) kernels
already exist; there is no need to create another one. The reason we
still work on the Hurd is that we believe the architecture offers unique
benefits. If we can't make it work as a microkernel system, there is no
use in working on it at all.

BTW, we are not trying to create a perfect kernel (well, most of us
aren't :-) ) -- just something that is superior to current mainstream
kernels in certain regards.

-antrik-