Re: Hurd status (was: Viengoos still active?)

From: William ML Leslie
Subject: Re: Hurd status (was: Viengoos still active?)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:07:23 +1100

On 27 December 2010 02:57, Oz <address@hidden> wrote:
> why don't the hurd hackers take some short cuts and turn the gnu
> kernel to a monolithic kernel and cut some corners like Linux instead
> of trying to create the perfect kernel which will never reach a highly
> usable status.

It's no easier to write a monolithic kernel than it is to write a
modular kernel.  For as long as I have been following the development
of the Hurd, the problems (from the perspective of "why isn't pure GNU
as usable and feature-complete as GNU/Linux") that the team have been
having aren't architectural at all, they are engineering and manpower
problems, and aren't solved by the many handwavy suggestions like
writing a monolithic kernel that get thrown around from time to time.
They are solved by people sitting down and doing the work.  Similarly,
the only way to settle architectural arguments seems to be to do the
work - because where progress is being made, interested people will
follow.

--
William Leslie