Hurd status (was: Viengoos still active?)

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Hurd status (was: Viengoos still active?)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 03:12:10 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 07:19:04PM -0600, Oz wrote:

> yea sorry i don't know much but from the info i got on the mailing
> lists, i believe viengoos and the entire gnu/hurd is in a corpse
> status

Viengoos is in a hibernation status. The Hurd is still active. (Though
admittedly at a slow pace.)

> and i think work on linux libre has become the gnu kernel please
> correct me if i am wrong.

Well, Linux is not a GNU project. It is what usually gets used in
GNU-based systems -- but other options are possible (see GNU/kFreeBSD),
and I don't think Linux is any more official in this role than others.

The Hurd is still the actual GNU kernel -- though it's not much of a
secret that nobody considers it an important project nowadays... Just an
interesting one :-)

-antrik-