Re: Viengoos still active?

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: Viengoos still active?
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:37:08 +0100

At Fri, 3 Dec 2010 19:54:19 -0800 (PST),
Dok Sander wrote:
>  I'd like to know the status of the Viengoos project. Is it still active?
> Looking at git:
>
> last change   Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:34:13 +0000

The right branch to look at is viengoos-on-bare-metal, not master.

> The question is: Is there still a project for a new GNU microkernel
> aside GNU Mach? Is Viengoos it or are there new projects blooming?

I have not been actively working on Viengoos for over a year.  This is
unlikely to change in the near future.

You should not think of Viengoos as the successor to Mach.  Viengoos
is highly experimental; some of the techniques it employs, in
particular, those related to memory management and IPC, are unproven.
These were motivated by shortcomings in Mach as well as current
operating systems.  A research system is unlikely the best base for a
product.  A better approach is to view Viengoos as an experimental
platform whose goal is to explore solutions to some of the issues
uncovered by the Hurd.  Knowledge gained can then be integrate into
something like Mach.

Neal