Improving Octave on Windows systems (was: Re: testing binary of octave-3

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Improving Octave on Windows systems (was: Re: testing binary of octave-3.3.91 (mingw32) is uploaded)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 04:08:30 -0500

On  3-Feb-2011, fork wrote:

| John W. Eaton <jwe <at> octave.org> writes:
|
| > And again, I don't have a Windows system, and I don't have this
| > problem on my Debian system, so I think you will have to debug the
| > problem yourself.
|
| Yeah, well thanks for trying.  I am hoping the other minority of
| windows users might have an answer.

Are Windows users really in the minority?  From what I keep hearing,
Windows is our most important platform because there are so many
people out there who would just love to be using Octave on Windows
systems but can't because Octave sucks so much on Windows.  So if we
could just hurry up and fix everything for them, then they would
happily be using Octave and maybe contribute something back (well, we
can hope).

Sorry, but the problem is that if I'm volunteering my time, I prefer
to work on the things I'm interested in and that are fun.  I can
continue to ask people who want to see Octave work better on Windows
to actually contribute instead of just expecting those of us who are
not Windows users to do it for them, for free.  But unless more people
work to improve Octave on Windows systems, then I don't think things
will change very fast.

But hey, I've got another idea for you.  I will make Octave work much
better on Windows systems if you make it worth it for me to so.  If
you are interested, then we can negotiate the terms.  It won't be
cheap (I'll have to work with Windows, so I will expect to be
compensated for the associated pain and suffering) but I guarantee
that things will be significantly better than they are now.

jwe