Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:11:03 -0400

>> The goal is to use Emacs as my text editor.
>
> Are you on some uncommon platform where you
> have to compile everything manually or why
> don't you just use the distro's package manager
> to install it?

Yes. I'm in a Debian QEMU/Chroot for S/390x because I don't have
access to one. Debian tests our package under it via Porter, so I'm
using their methodology. Also see http://www.debian.org/ports/.

We added Ports testing because Debian was finding bugs under these
platforms. We are trying to get out in front of things rather than
playing catch-up.

I'm pretty sure the Debian's Bash package is broken, but it happens to
work on i686 and x86_64, Aarch32, Aarch64 and a few others. However,
when it runs on S/390, Sparc64 and a few others, it seg faults. Also
see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=828041.

I _suspect_ the Debian Bash bug is due to a non-static jmpbuf, but I
have not had time to investigate it. The jmpbuf happens to be zero'd
on some platforms because of the zero-page writer, but it gets unlucky
on some others. The suspicion is based on the 828041 bug above.

For completeness, I suspect the problems in this thread are the reason
Emacs is not available for S/390: (1) Bash is broken, so it fails self
tests; and (2) GDB is broken so no one can investigate why.

Jeff