Re: [h-e-w] EMACSW32 and Windows 7 Win+Arrow Shortcuts

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EMACSW32 and Windows 7 Win+Arrow Shortcuts
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 10:08:22 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Matthew Fidler" <address@hidden>
>
> Gary,
> There are ways to start emacs without using EmacsW32. I believe the
> -a option in emacsclient now works correctly.
> What are the proper exit statues you are talking about?

Hi Matt. Perhaps this was only ever an emacsW32 bug, and/or maybe it was fixed
long ago. I don't have current source here (guess I should), but basically,
emacsclientw exits with a random exit status when called from a win32 window
app (such as emacs itself).

At the time, the symptom was easy to reproduce.  In a shell window inside emacs
(I use cygwin zsh, but any shell will work), run
  emacsclient foo || echo BAD
then C-x # to close the server buffer, and then look back in the shell window:
% emacsclientw foo || echo BAD
Waiting for Emacs...
BAD
%

> I have also come up with a method to start emacs, register a few
> things like right-click edit with Emacs and org-protocol links

It would certainly be nice if Emacs came with a decent set of registry keys and
start menu shortcuts so that it (client) would _just work_ without hand-editing
registry or creating start menu shortcuts.  If your code can be run after
unpacking a standard nightly build on a fresh machine and it finishes setting
up Emacs, I bet a lot of people would use it.  For me at least, that
integration was the biggest draw of W32Emacs over stock.

I guess I should try again with stock emacsclient/emacsclientw and see how
things have progressed.

--
Gary Oberbrunner