Re: [h-e-w] EMACSW32 and Windows 7 Win+Arrow Shortcuts

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EMACSW32 and Windows 7 Win+Arrow Shortcuts
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 20:50:24 +0200

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Deniz Dogan <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2012-05-07 09:33, Adam Golding wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Just installed EMACSW32 on windows 7, and with all options set to
>> EMACSW32 mode, the shortcuts like "Win+Right" etc that move windows
>> around don't work on the EMACSW32 window, and with them all disabled,
>> there is still an anomaly: when I press "Win+Right" the top of the
>> EMACSW32 window is too low and cannot be dragged up to the top of the
>> screen--it's off by about a third of the height of a title bar.
>>
>> I haven't determined which setting is interfering with the hotkeys, but
>> certainly the emacsw32 default modes should allow the use of these keys
>> :-)
>

> Just so you know, there are official Windows builds (even "weekly
> nightlies") available.  The Windows keys work there.

Thanks. That is good to know. Something might have changed in the
handling of the keys since I last merged.

The EmacsW32 version tries to use the Windows keys as Emacs meta. In
Windows 7 that has become less convenient since Windows 7 now grabs
more of those key combinations. Alt is however still inconventient to
use as Emacs Meta in my opinion so I will think about what to do when
I have a chance to merge again. (I might use Caps Lock as an
alternative Meta key.)

Unfortunately it will probably be a long time until I can merge again.
There are a lot of things I am dependent on in EmacsW32 (escpecially
for org-mode).