Re: [h-e-w] EMACSW32 and Windows 7 Win+Arrow Shortcuts

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EMACSW32 and Windows 7 Win+Arrow Shortcuts
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 08:16:47 -0700

> > FWIW, that messing with the registry etc. is a main reason
> > that I would *not* use EmacsW32.
> >
> > (Note: I am not saying that anyone else should not use it.
> > I'm very glad that Lennart has made EmacsW32 available.)
>
> The installation process let you choose if it should change the
> registry or not ;-)

Yes, well, messing with the registry is only one thing to inhibit.  There is
lots of other messing about that I would also want to prevent (opt out of).

But some of those are no doubt things that others might appreciate. People's
needs are different.

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone not to use EmacsW32 - far from it.  I'm
just saying that for my purposes, which include having multiple builds of
unmessed-with vanilla GNU Emacs on the same machine, and equally accessible, I
have no need for EmacsW32, and it would just be a bother.

And I am not convinced that it is easier to "install" Emacs with such an
installer than it is to unzip a zip archive and optionally create a shortcut to
the executable.  Especially if you start fiddling with telling the installer to
do this but not do that, etc.

That was my main point.  It seems to me that the advantage of EmacsW32 can come
from the many changes that it makes to Emacs, not from its ease of installing or
any resultant ease in starting Emacs.

And I prefer not to have such changes to Emacs, so I see no EmacsW32 advantage
for my use case.