gpsd-users

Re: Cross compile gpsd-3.20.1~dev for arm with buildroot

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Cross compile gpsd-3.20.1~dev for arm with buildroot
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 10:24:04 -0700

Yo Florian!

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 09:52:11 +0200
Florian Kiera <florian.kiera@logicway.de> wrote:

> >> which causes gpsd to create the directories of
> >> user/buildrootpath/... etc and that created directory path is
> >> supposed to not be existing.
> > Supposed?  Depends on your build options.
> Yes supposed to not be existing, from MY build options, but of cause
> gpsd must make a mess out of it.

gpsd does not use STAGING_DIR, so I don't see how gpsd does anything
with that.

# fgrep STAGING_DIR * -r
SConstruct:    'STAGING_DIR',               # OpenWRT and CeroWrt

It just passed through STAGING_DIR.

scons does nothing with it either:

# fgrep STAGING_DIR /usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/SCons/ -R
#

So I don't see how gpsd/scons can make a mess out of it.

> The DESTDIR/sysroot variables that
> are given to scons might be interesting.

Yup.  That is what they are for.  Most distros use them with gpsd.

> (Check the gpsd.mk again
> there is DESTDIR and sysroot; more about it below)

Uh, I'll leave your software to you.

> >> Still need to find out why gpsd
> >> uses that staging directory as root and not the usual root.
> > Because you told it to?  Did you set STAGING_DIR somewhere?
> I told it to install it to STAGING_DIR not to STAGING_DIR/STAGING_DIR.

In this case, what is "it", if not buildroot?  That is not part of gpsd.
gpsd/scons knows nothing of STAGING_DIR.

> Of cause there is a STAGING_DIR set, but the python modules of gpsd
> are installed wrong while the other tools are all installed
> correctly.

Yes, old news.

> May gpsd falsely combines DESTDIR and sysroot for the
> python modules?

Dunno, but the STAGING_DIR confuses the issue, Fix it first.

> Or it even uses STAGING_DIR itself?

Nope.  See above.  You are passing that to gpsd/scons when you should not.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588