gpsd-users

Re: RTK Fix woes again

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: RTK Fix woes again
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 15:25:24 -0700

Yo pisymbol!

On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 16:37:14 -0400
"pisymbol ." <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 2:23 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Yo pisymbol!

> > I'll put the two pieces together as they tell different stories.
> >

> One thing I realize is that fix quality should probably be more of a
> heuristic than a simple equality, i.e. if multiple strings disagree,
> we need a policy on how to handle that better. Do you agree?

Maybe, but that is not the case here.  No two or your sentences are
disagreeing.  Just that each has only partial data.  Very common.

> > Also, have you bothered to check that your RTK actually does you
> > any good?  Like running gpsprof with, and without, the RTK?  Unless
> > your baseline is very short (meters) all your effort is wasted.
> >

> COVID19 is effecting everyone in different ways. Including this
> yellow can!

Seems to me that someone forgot to bring their work home with them...

> Bottom line though is we absolutely NEED RTK FIX. Full stop. (and yes
> we check accuracy using Trimble tools since it's on the Trimble
> network).

Don't confuse tools with goals.  No one needs RTK.  Ever.  They may need
a certain level of accuracy, but how you get that is just an engineering
exercise.

Since you checked your accuracy with the Trimble tools, what did that
tell you?  Did you compare that to what gpsprof tells you?  We are
sharing our knowledge with you, you need to share back.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588