[Gomp-discuss] gomp and where to start.

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: [Gomp-discuss] gomp and where to start.
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 13:49:01 +0100

I thought that perhaps we could keep a set of 'our' files in an omp directory under gcc/gcc/ in the tree-ssa-branch, this way we could override the search path for the other frontends when building omp capable ones.

I do realise that we would have to patch the tree in order to build what we want, but it would be unintrusive to the rest of the source tree, and as such might be easier to get into the branch.
 ( it could fx. in no way cause any regressions and such ).

I don't know if everybody believes that we can contain ourself to such a directory, but I do so. Opinions wanted.

 Perhaps we could populate the cvs with :

gomp/
gomp/omp
gomp/libgomp

To start with, and be really carefull to populate it with source that follows the gcc coding conventions a.s.o.

About splitting the project, I don't know if we have enough developers for this to be fruitfull ?

 I'd rather se somthing like:

  1. a) parse the directives and make sure they are correct
     b) propagate information to the middle end
     ( but change the order, so first we propagate and then we check ).

  2. The library, and what is commonly available in the threading lib's.

  3. c) decide how to deal with OpenMP in the middle end
     Now here is some issues about branching and such :-) ..

 Any thoughts ?

I really think we should get the sentinels to themiddle end as fast as possible , ( IMHO ).

 / Lars