Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines".
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 08:47:10 -0400

On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 13:37:21 +0200 Giovanni wrote:
> Who is going to decice if a similar note as
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html.en#SILOFL should be added

"who" is not so important, at least not at this point - if that change needs to
be made, then probably it would need to be approved by GNU webmasters and RMS -
but that list is not intended to be exhaustive - it is for the most widely-used
licenses - this one is not widely-used - this small handful of games is barely
relevant, except that they are distributed by some FSDG distros

this thread is only trying to decide if these games should be added to the
list of known-nonfree software, which distro maintainers are likely to come
across

i admit, they do look at lot alike; but they both look to me like "explicitly
non-free licenses"

on the one hand: surely no one can argue that "you may not sell this ..."
permits freedom #0

but on the other hand: poorly worded or not, non-free or not, it would be a
shame to exclude these games based on that prohibition
  A) it is utterly trivial for anyone to avoid that clause - eg: simply pack-in
     some random OFL font along with the game, and *presto* it is an aggregate
  B) these games are not worth the cost of a blank CD and shipping - that is
     the usual reason why commercial game authors "set them out to pasture"
     (because even they can not sell them anymore)

of course "B" is arguable - but how's this for a data-point - i got my copy of
"beneath a steel sky" as a freebie pack-in with my windows95 computer, along
with a dozen other CDs (which i didnt even know were part of the package, until
i got it home) - that was its value in 1995 (nearly nothing, a bonus gift like
a pot-holder or fridge magnet) - i doubt if anyone would pay more than the cost
of shipping, even for my original copy with its accumulated "authentic
nostalgia value"
then again, that entire $3000 computer system