Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines".
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 15:51:42 +0200

On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:43:53 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:
> it is a fine suggestion; but i would expand that to: "an official
> campaign to encourage free licensing on ALL games created by ALL game
> devs" - ScummVM is surely among the least popular game engines today,
> and those retro games are barely interesting to modern gamers - to
> focus on ScummVM, would be nary a dewdrop in the ocean
ScummVM has the big advantage of being able to run on a lot of
operating systems, so if it's possible to write free software that run
in it it would be great.

A realistic use case would be to have a game made by a non-profit
that combats sexism.

They could, with the help of expert in the field, come up with
situation and the consequences depending on how we react to these
situations. That would then be converted in some game: drawings could
be added (an artist could be paid to make drawings under free
licenses) and the player would have the choice between several
different reactions to a situation (this could require the help of
some technical people in the association, and the script would be under
free licenses too).

With the right tools, making a game would be relatively simple.

And here having a free software game and very portable free software
game engine that is already available everywhere and a project that
already takes care of the engine (and even the games) distribution looks
extremely useful for cases like that.

However if there are no free software tools for making games, in
addition to mistreating users, its developers, and the association
publishing it, as not being able to modify the game without free tools
would be extremely problematic.

Denis.