Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines".
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 16:13:45 +0200

On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 13:27:55 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 17:24:03 +0100 Felipe wrote:
> > To some extent, it also has
> > historical value, as it helps one to better grasp how game
> > development worked in that era."
>
> same response as i had for gnutoo's remarks - if there were no games
> for it, it would belong in some historical archive for all of those
> educational and historical reasons, but it would not belong in an
> active distro - the only reason we are discussing this, is because
> there are some games for it, but they are all non-free - as such,
> from parabola's perspective, there are no games for it; so if
> parabola is to be as much like arch as possible, we should drop the
> package
Again I don't see the issue here. Wine could be packaged to enable
people to run nonfree software that runs on Windows. But then it also
enables people to test toolchains.

And the only way to get hints why it's packaged is probably the package
description.

So maybe the package descriptions could be checked to make sure they
don't push users toward nonfree software.

Denis.