Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines".
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:43:53 -0400

On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:41:04 +0100 Felipe wrote:
> I guess the vast majority of those games are non-free. And I think this
> reflects a lost opportunity to educate all those enthusiastic game
> developers about software freedom.
>
> Perhaps the ScummVM project maintainers
> themselves would like the idea of coordinating an official campaign to
> encourage free licensing on fan-games created by their users.

not to be a wet blanket, but the scope of this suggestion is nearly total, well
beyond ScummVM and its fan games - in general, games are not well-licensed -
one may call it endemic to gamer culture (visual artists and musicians also) -
without exaggeration, i guess that almost _every_ game you could find, libre or
not, will have some files which are licensed poorly or not at all

it is a fine suggestion; but i would expand that to: "an official campaign to
encourage free licensing on ALL games created by ALL game devs" - ScummVM is
surely among the least popular game engines today, and those retro games are
barely interesting to modern gamers - to focus on ScummVM, would be nary a
dewdrop in the ocean