Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Announce: axp - a new command line tool

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Announce: axp - a new command line tool
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:52:02 -0500

Charles Duffy wrote:
On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 06:39 +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

BTW, I recommend changing the command to apx if possible, now in the
early days before people get used to it. The reason: alternating key
presses are quicker to type and less error prone (letters 'a' and 'x'
are on the same side of the keyboard, but thankfully 'p' is on the
other, so 'p' should definitely be in the middle - small thing, but very
large long term aggregate consequence).

Heh. If we're going to get into that discussion, both "axp" and "apx",
being quite unlike English, are a bloody PITA to type on Dvorak.

I was thinking about this, being a dvorak user myself (I switch quite a bit when working on other machines, though.)

but actually I find that axp written in Qwerty actually rolls off pretty well, as it is l-pinky, l-ring, r-pinky. I find it easier to type than apx.

As for dvorak, the problem is that p and x are typed with the same finger, with 'p' where the r is, and x where the b is. So theirs no good solution there.

If we're discussing this, baz works okay (same as 'na/' on qwerty.) Though my favorite would be 'nth', as those keys are the same as 'lkj' on qwerty, making it very fast to type. (The nice thing about dvorak as th does occur quite a bit in the English language.)

John
=:->