Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Announce: axp - a new command line tool

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Announce: axp - a new command line tool
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:19:29 +0200

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 23:18:20 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 30 Oct 2004 00:31:49 +0200, Jan Hudec wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 01:56, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > > axp is a new arch-based command line tool. All details including the
> > > description of existing subcommands and the tarball are available on:
> > >
> > >   http://migo.sixbit.org/software/axp/
> >
> > Is there any particular reason why it does not use any of the standard
> > perl-module installation methods (ExtUtils::MakeMaker or Module::Build)?
>
> I think I already answered all of this previously:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-03/msg00577.html
>
> This link also contains your "I could help here", so I am waiting to
> merge your alternative installation mechanisms. :)

Replying to that message -- I believe being a perl module it should be
installed as a perl module. Using a CPAN shell...

For determining most of the thing, perl's Config hash is the right place
to look to. While there is aclocal stuff for many languages, there is NO
aclocal stuff for perl. For ArchZoom, both autoconf and
Module::Build/ExtUtils::MakeMaker may be needed, but axp and arch-perl
are both installable with just Module::Build/ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

I'd also suggest changing the layout and names a bit. If it should be
CPAN-friendly, all the modules should be Arch::<something>, in order not
to increase CPAN enthropy too much. When released on CPAN, people can
install it by just "cpan -i Arch::<whatever>" (where <whatever> is Zoom,
AXP, Way or Bundle)

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>