Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Announce: axp - a new command line tool

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Announce: axp - a new command line tool
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 06:39:19 +1000

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 01:56, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> axp is a new arch-based command line tool. All details including the
> description of existing subcommands and the tarball are available on:
>
>   http://migo.sixbit.org/software/axp/
>
> axp features a multi-level pluggable command set. This means the
command
> namespace is not necessarily flat. I would not start to discuss the
> merits of both approaches (i.e. "tla library-add|library-remove"
versus
> "tla library add|remove"), but I believe the multi-level subcommand
> system makes quite a sense when implemented properly.

Very nice. I like this a lot.

> All commands are automatically provided with the "--help" option, and
all

And -H ? Is there any reason to not support "standard tla" options?

> composite commands are automatically provided with the "help"
subcommand.
> This "help" subcommand by default lists one immediate level only,
unless
> called with --recursive option, so the help output is usually short.

That's great.

> Question: Is axp a competitor of fai and xtla?
>
> Answer: Not exactly, the ideology is a bit different. Unlike these
tools,
> there is no intention to replace tla and a shell. The current focus is
on

why not replace? why not be a full front end? or are you just deflecting
potential short-term criticism as axp functionality grows? I think this
will be a very nice structure for command line use of [lib-]tla.

> I may also add commands that I miss in tla, like fork and
star-merge-undo.

very good

BTW, I recommend changing the command to apx if possible, now in the
early days before people get used to it. The reason: alternating key
presses are quicker to type and less error prone (letters 'a' and 'x'
are on the same side of the keyboard, but thankfully 'p' is on the
other, so 'p' should definitely be in the middle - small thing, but very
large long term aggregate consequence).

regards
zen