[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Semi-severe bug in tla-cygwin 1.2.1-dirnames

From: John Meinel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Semi-severe bug in tla-cygwin 1.2.1-dirnames
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:22:48 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
Before I try this, what are you actually doing? Do you mean that
anything that goes into the archive is stored in 'CR' mode, not 'CR/LF'?

dunno... I didn't understand the problem exactly. honestly, this problem
should be addressed properly by tla and not by me trying to hack something
in.
like in CVS, files should be classified as text, or binary files.
text files in working directories should be platform specific (i.e. CR/LF on
windows, LF
on unix, CR on MAC),
text files in archives should be platform agnostic (e.g. LF only)

Well, I kind of like the way Tla does it, because too often I've been bitten by someone copying files from a Win32 machine to a Linux machine and then checking in the files. (Or checking them in from cygwin set to binary mode.)

Then when you check them out on a win32 platform, you get CR/CR/LF, which means you have doubled lines *everywhere*.

The only problem I run into is editors that change the line endings everywhere, which causes patch to see it as an *every* line change.

I think what I would really prefer is for patch to handle the CR/LF thing in a better manner. To not treat it as a change to every line, but to treat it as a CR/LF change.

Or possibly to have patch just ignore the line endings. I know there is a command to tell patch to ignore whitespace, I wonder if that would work for things like this.

I'm a little hesitant to do that, because some tools might require the
'CR/LF'. In general, I try to create my files with just 'CR', but I also
include the MSVC project files (.sln, .vcproj). And I believe if you
convert them to just 'CR' mode, then Visual Studio thinks the file is
corrupt, and won't load it.

yes, you're right: I experienced this first-hand yesterday.... .DSP and .DSW
files require CR/LF for MSVC6 to work...

As I mentioned before, I just want the tool to do exact differences,
leave the line endings with whatever they are.

I wish I could strip all of them, but I don't think every tool on Win32
that reads one of the files is going to be okay with that. I just try to
be careful and run dos2unix whenever I created a file by a non-standard
way. (I configured vim to create unix mode by default.)

that's why I didn't put it available publicly...  I guess I won't put it in...

This probably does need some sort of solution. As more people use win32 it's probably going to get worse. Though it's really only a problem when you switch platforms. If people only use windows then they are fine. If people only use linux, they're okay. And honestly, I think linux's editors are much nicer about being compatible with different line endings. Probably because they grew up in compatibility mode. Versus windows ones that just do what they want.

John
=:->

John
=:->