[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Semi-severe bug in tla-cygwin 1.2.1-dirnames

From: John Meinel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Semi-severe bug in tla-cygwin 1.2.1-dirnames
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:35:49 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
John,

As near as I can tell, the current diff is doing weird things when facing files
with

CR/LF versus just plain CR. I personally try to keep all of my files with CR
only, but
since I'm on windows every so often one slips through.

please find attached a release with the option "--strip-trailing-cr" for diff
and diff3
on by default.
(it's the only difference with the version I put on my website today)

Could you test if this works on the CR/LF problem you observed?

oops previous mail had wrong attachment.

-- lode

Before I try this, what are you actually doing? Do you mean that anything that goes into the archive is stored in 'CR' mode, not 'CR/LF'?

I'm a little hesitant to do that, because some tools might require the 'CR/LF'. In general, I try to create my files with just 'CR', but I also include the MSVC project files (.sln, .vcproj). And I believe if you convert them to just 'CR' mode, then Visual Studio thinks the file is corrupt, and won't load it.

As I mentioned before, I just want the tool to do exact differences, leave the line endings with whatever they are.

I wish I could strip all of them, but I don't think every tool on Win32 that reads one of the files is going to be okay with that. I just try to be careful and run dos2unix whenever I created a file by a non-standard way. (I configured vim to create unix mode by default.)

John
=:->