Re: [Gnu-arch-users] make vs ?

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] make vs ?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:40:19 -0500

Phil Frost wrote:
Not related to arch, but SCons <http://www.scons.org/> is good.

I would second this. SCons has a lot of built-in dependency checking, etc. So with Makefiles, you can either put it in by hand
        file: depfile1 depfile2 ...
Or you can try and do some sort of auto-rule (make dep)
But with SCons, the dependencies are automatically checked, though you can explicitly add/remove ones if it does something you don't want.

I've also used Boost::Build
http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/build_system.htm

And it works quite well for C++ projects, once you figure it out. But I honestly can't recommend it as a general build tool. It seems pretty tailored to just C++, and the syntax is a little arcane.

John
=:->