Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla spork

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla spork
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:00:12 -0400

Miles wrote:
> I think their may be a significant number of people who _don't like_
> prefix/lots-o-parens syntax, but it's so close to conventional syntax that I
> find it very hard to believe there are many halfway-competent programmers who
> just can't grok it.

If my side of the fence looses, then we can get along by keeping
things as simple as possible (i.e. avoid nesting whenever possible), and
taking on a contract to teach the communinity how to use it well enough
that they can get by.

I bet this whole conversation wouldn't have even happened if in their
infinite wisdom lisp had used {} or [] instead of (). Then, people wouldn't
gripe so much about their pinkies having to reach for the 9 and 0 keys.
While we're at it, why not <> (never mind, see my vim comment) ?

(big, nasty grin)

> It's pretty similar to python indentation-structing: many people argue over
> whether it's attractive/readable/maintainable/etc, but it's not hard to
> learn.

Yeah. Actually, I was recently forced at gunpoint to learn python. I
actually happen to really like what I can do with the language (oop, but
in a scripting context!) But on the other end of knowing
the language, I *still* think the lack of control structure characters
was a HUGE mistake. Without { and }, I can't hit % in vim.