Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla spork

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla spork
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:26:45 -0400

Robin Green wrote:
On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 02:47:45PM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:

The concept of changesets, the idea of never deleting history*

Oh, you're perfectly able and allowed to delete history. Just archive-cycle,
cacherev, and delete the old archive. What you mean is the idea of never
being able to delete history without deleting all the previous history. ;-)
I can't immediately think of a concise way of expressing that.

Actually, I disagree. Deleting history is actually okay. But if deleting revisions from a version is followed by commits, you're *changing* history, and that's forbidden, because a revision name describes a specific, unchangeable project tree state.

So I think the first principle is "a revision name represents only one tree state".

Aaron