Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archzoom wishlist item

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archzoom wishlist item
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:34:07 +0000

On 21 Aug 2004 20:34:18 -0400, Miles Bader wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 12:10:23AM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > >    moin
> > >          cvs            1.1     base-0 .. patch-47
> > >          features       1.1     base-0
> > >                         1.2     base-0 .. patch 5
> > >          fixes          1.1     base-0 .. patch-15
> >
> > Well, this is just a matter of a template change. I copied default/ to
> > test/ and changed abrowse.html a bit, here is the result:
> >
> >   http://archzoom.sourcecontrol.net/demo/address@hidden
> >
> > Personally I think this is less readable than without "?template=test".
> > But if the majority likes such compact output I may make it the default.
> > You should still press version "0" to get the revision list, as usual.
>
> Yes I think that looks pretty good -- one small detail is that currently
> there's a huge amount of whitespace on both sides of the version numbers,
> which makes it harder to match-up branches and their version numbers &c.
> Can this whitespace be reduced?

I don't like too tight look with a lot of empty space at the right, but
I made it more tight. Well, in the near future info "(69 .. 12 days ago)"
will occupy some of this empty space. I still need at least several voices
(in private) to decide whether such look above should be the default.

> BTW, since we're talking about arch-zoom, here are some miscellaneous
> gripes I had when I first noticed that it was running on sourcecontrol:
>
>   (1) There's no (obvious) way of finding out the archive location from the
>       browser (e.g., when a user is browsing the above, it would be nice if
>       there were some way for him to get the string
>       "http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/address@hidden";).

There is no (obvious) way to get to this url. It is not the location of
the registered archive, this would be too slow and inefficient.

Again, lobby arch here, not archzoom. :) For example, store the canonical
public location in the archive meta-data (together with the currently
stored archive name). So that this url is still accessible even if the
archive is registered using the local directory or protected sftp.

>   (2) It would be nice to have a way of listing patches that change a given
>       file, e.g., from the "Tree directory" view.  Often when using a
>       browser, I'm interested more in the history of a given file or
>       directory than the general history of the project.

This is already in TODO, will appear in some 0.3.x version.

Regards,
Mikhael.