Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archzoom wishlist item

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archzoom wishlist item
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:48:49 +0200

> I don't know. Diverging from the arch's idea of structure does not sound
> too appealing to me.  [BTW, I hope/think this is the correct usage of word
> "diverge", so such name would be unintuitive to mean "branch" or "fork".]
>
> I guess you should lobby Tom and others to change the arch namespace
> itself.

Tom, and others, have repeatedly said that the namespace is just 2-
dimensional and the ordering isn't really too special. [Some of that is
probably to quiet people wanting to change things, but anyway]

> It seems that Tom is already convinced, and you will be able
> to use micro-branches instead of branches in the near future. ArchZoom
> will surelly support micro-branches.

Nice.

> Would a special branch name "*" solve your needs now? I.e.:
>
>   http://archzoom.sourcecontrol.net/demo/address@hidden/moin--*--1.1
>
> It was easy to add, so you may visit this url to see how it works.
> (You may omit "?expand" here, since "*" implies "expand".)

Thats pretty cool though really cluttered. If this was displayed with
the other view (version -> branch) then it'd look like
  moin
        1.1
              cvs        base-0 .. patch-47
              features   base-0
              fixes      base-0 .. patch-15
              multilang  base-0 .. patch-2
              productive base-0 .. patch-7
              public     base-0 .. patch-1
              refactor   base-0  .. patch-30

which looks much cleaner than

  moin
        cvs
              1.1       base-0 .. patch-47
        features
              1.1       base-0
        fixes
              1.1       base-0 .. patch-15
        multilang
              1.1       base-0 .. patch-2
        productive
              1.1       base-0 .. patch-7
        public
              1.1       base-0 .. patch-1
        refactor
              1.1       base-0  .. patch-30

Especially with multiple branches of the same version etc. it becomes
easier to track it visually when represented in the other order.

I'm not advocating to make it _always_ that way, but an option would be
nice.

Don't see this as "diverging" from arch, think of it as a more user-
friendly representation of the arch namespace (well, at least sometimes
more userfriendly, with other working styles it'd be less userfriendly)

johannes