Re: [Gnu-arch-users] FEATURE PLANS: pruning instead of configs

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] FEATURE PLANS: pruning instead of configs
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 00:12:17 -0400

Lets suppose tla, hackerlab, pika, and whatever else is rolled into one
package and instead of using configs, the --selection additions are
added.

Using tla as an example, could you answer the following questions?

1. Does this mean that in order to work on arch, I'll now effectively be
stuck downloading pika as well? (The way I read the get --selection
stuff, no, but somebody else said yes)

2. What if there was another project that wanted to use hackerlab. Are
they now stuck dealing with all of the arch and scheme stuff, which they
don't necessarily care about?

3. What happens to the size of cached revisions if a bunch of projects
are lumped together into one super-project?

4. Branching for a small fix is already moderately painful, if one
cacherevs a branch from a foreign archive. Wouldn't this superproject
concept mean that cachereving base-0s are no longer practical?

5. The selection stuff looks like scheme (pika, lisp, whatever -- to me,
they all look the same ) to me. Does this imply that in order to stick
with arch in the long term, I'm going to have to pick up scheme?