Re: [Gnu-arch-users] FEATURE PLANS: pruning instead of configs

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] FEATURE PLANS: pruning instead of configs
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:03:01 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Robert Collins <address@hidden>

    > On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 09:58, Tom Lord wrote:
    > > Configs will always be useful but ..... the set of features proposed
    > > in recent manages can help eliminate at least one common use for
    > > configs.
    >

    > 1) Some of this seems very much what you targets itla at - has that
    > changed (are you now encouraging project-specific features for tla
    > inclusion [which I consider buggoo integration to be, for all that its
    > cool and essential])

itla can't do something like selective commit.  Yes, in theory you
could implement selective inventory in itla and it could implement
selective commit by literally building on disk the TARGET version
needed for a selective commit -- but that would be stupidly
inefficient: tla has to know about some of this stuff in the core.

Of the proposed features, things like "merge request headers" come the
closest to being itla material vs. tla core.   Perhaps the core could
have just some lower-level hooks and the behavior of `tla commit
--announce' could be pushed up to itla level.

However, I'm not averse to building a little "preferred policy" into
tla itself if the payoff is large enough.   I think for this set of
proposed features that it will be --- many, many projects can use
these.

    > 2) some projects like mozilla do the all-in-one approach which cvs and
    > now subversion encourage. It's a freaking mess. I think that the use
    > case of configs for library & build assembly is the primary use case,
    > and a awesomely valuable one. So - targeting a cvs-like all-in-one tree
    > approach is actually (IMO) a bad thing.

I don't quite follow you.  Mozilla did a bad job attempting X and
therefore you think that features to enable doing X well are bad?  By
that reasoning, nobody should work on web browsers anymore.  (Sorry,
Mozilla project, just kidding.  Sorta.)

-t

----

Like my work on GNU arch, Pika Scheme, and other technical contributions
to the public sphere?   Show your support!

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=lord%40emf.net&item_name=support+for+arch+and+other+free+software+efforts+by+tom+lord&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD

and

address@hidden for www.moneybookers.com payments.

-----