Re: [Gnu-arch-users] FEATURE PLANS: pruning instead of configs

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] FEATURE PLANS: pruning instead of configs
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:24:13 +1000

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 09:58, Tom Lord wrote:
> Configs will always be useful but ..... the set of features proposed
> in recent manages can help eliminate at least one common use for
> configs.

Two thoughts.
1) Some of this seems very much what you targets itla at - has that
changed (are you now encouraging project-specific features for tla
inclusion [which I consider buggoo integration to be, for all that its
cool and essential])

2) some projects like mozilla do the all-in-one approach which cvs and
now subversion encourage. It's a freaking mess. I think that the use
case of configs for library & build assembly is the primary use case,
and a awesomely valuable one. So - targeting a cvs-like all-in-one tree
approach is actually (IMO) a bad thing.

Rob