Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation 2 FOSDEM presentation : draft of complete

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation 2 FOSDEM presentation : draft of complete presentation
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:23:28 -0500

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> wrote:
> Latency uniform only per game, the exact latency adjustment is set before
> the game by the server, ranging from 320 ms to 2000 ms .

Ok, so we do not have the latency autotuning any more? I think that this is a
more important (and easier to implement) feature than getting any P2P for the
next release. Indeed, with autotuning we would have lower latency in average.

Have a nice day,

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net

I've read in a network paper written by age of empires programmers that changing the latency in-game can frustrate the players because it makes things unpredictable on a low level. I didn't know we had auto-tuning in Alpha 23 and back. In Beta 1, the latency adjustment was fixed absolute at  12 orders, 480 ms. Now, the server uses player-pings to decide the latency level by adding the highest ping with the second highest, and adding 20% error margin, and then rounding up to the nearest rung.

We have rungs at 8 orders: 320 ms, 14 orders: 540 ms, 20 orders, 800 ms, 25 orders, 1000 ms, 30 orders, 1200 ms, 38 orders, 1500 ms, and 50 orders, 2000 ms. It gives you the best performance considering your pre-game pings. The ping itself is an average of 10 pings with the highest 2 removed.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.